Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology's engineering program (formerly Rose Polytechnic Institute) founded in 1874, wass one of few independent, privately supported male colleges of science and engineering in the nation. The college became co-ed in 1995.
The late Robert L. McCormick, civil engineering professor at Rose-Hulman received the first Professional Engineer License when the Indiana Professional Licensing Law was enacted in 1921. McCormick served as the first chairman of the Indiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors from August 9, 1921 to April 13, 1923. The late Dr. Herman A. Moench, P.E., professor of electrical engineering, served on the aforementioned Board as a member of as chairman from June 5, 1953 to November 21, 1986. At his last meeting he was awarded the "Sagamore of the Wabash Award" by the Governor's Office for his excellent service on the Indiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.
Department of Mechanical Engineering - Founded in 1883
Department of Civil Engineering - Founded in 1886
Department of Electrical Engineering - Founded in 1889
Department of Chemical Engineering - Founded in 1889